Sunday, May 09, 2004

I've been asked often enough about the rampion thing, before I even started the blog, so I'm going to explain it here for once and all. It's a radish. There seems to be some argument that it's a bellflower, but it's been described as being radish-like, so I'll stick with that, until someone, y'know, convinces me not to. Besides, "it's a bellflower" doesn't sound like a very good name for a blog. Sure, you may argue that "it's a radish" is no better, but it is. It is. Anyway, I've never been a huge flower buff or anything, but I found the word when I was reading up on the history of fairy tales, back in high school. Turns out, traditionally, that it's the herb that Rapunzel's mother obsessed about it the witch's garden, and the source of Rapunzel's name. This was right about the time that I was first starting to get online. I needed a username for hotmail, so I decided to use a form of rampion, cause it sounded good, and I had long hair, perhaps not of Rapunzel length, but whatever. For some reason I don't even remember, I didn't use 'rampion' as the name though. I thought, if someone was named Rampion, and had a young niece with a lisp, she might call him Uncle Rampy. So I went with "unclerampy". This is what I settle for, in the absense of a logical mental facility. Unsurprisingly, as one who is not me might think, no one got the root of the name without extensive explanation. Some people asked what the hell an "uncler" was. Eventually, though, the hotmail account flooded with spam, and I left it behind. If it really isn't a radish, I should probably change the name of the blog, though I can't think of anything better right now. I mean, I don't want to propagate misinformation. At least, not unintentionally.

No comments: